ASF in Chad
Over the past few years, the human rights situation in Chad has severely deteriorated. There are many problems of governance in the country, caused by political, economic, and social tensions and security issues, which contribute to the weakening of an already fragile state. These tensions were exacerbated during the 2016 elections when civil society, demanding democratic change, had its capacity for action, prevention, and reaction restricted.
ASF projects in Chad
ASF has been present in the country since 2012. ASF first concentrated on improving social care and legal assistance for minors. More recently, it has devoted itself to supporting civil society organisations mobilised to promote access to justice.
Support for civil society initiatives to promote and defend human rights in Chad
The project aims to contribute to the achievement and protection of human rights in Chad. More specifically, it aims to support human rights organisations (HRO) and existing networks in Chad in order to increase the impact and scope of their activities in the interests of their communities. .
- Geographic areas of involvment: regions of Ouaddai, Biltine, Chari-Baguirmi, Moyen-Chari, Salamat, Mayo-Kebbi Est, Mayo-Kebbi Ouest, Logone Oriental, Logone Occidental, and Tandjile.
- Budget: €528,251.
- Funding source: European Union (IEDDH).
- Duration: 2 years (April 2017 > April 2019).
- Capacity-building for HROs in relation to knowledge of the legal context in which they operate, collection and analysis of data, and direct protection
- Technical and financial support for the CADH in order to strengthen collaboration and the coordination of member organisations
- Organisation of general and specialised legal protection services for HROs and their members
- Capacity-building for legal protection service-providers
- Implementation of an early warning system
- Production and circulation of annual reports on the human rights situation in Chad
- Technical support for the CADH to promote and strengthen its collective strategy for political and legislative influence and its capacity to participate in discussions of public interest